Thursday, June 20, 2013

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

 

  What can I say about 2001: A Space Odyssey that hasn't already been said? How stunning its visuals? How modern its special effects? How powerful its soundtrack? How big its ideas? The film is one of Kubrick's most dissected works. I don't believe I have anything insightful to say about the piece itself; but I can at least give an insight into my own thoughts and feelings about it. 2001 is a film I love mostly because of how it operated on my mind and the ensuing awareness of something much bigger than myself. I'm not a mega film analyzer (although I can pretend to be). I either feel something from a movie or I don't. I can only speak for myself personally and say that this is the most important film that I've ever seen.


   What do I think the film is about? How tools are what have come to shape how humanity defines itself. Every succeeding era brings with it a plethora of new technological gadgets. However innovative, these gadgets will soon come to possess and destroy us. It also deals with alien life, but not in the shape or form commonly depicted in movies. If my theory is correct, the one question I have left is this: have the film's aliens themselves succumbed to the machines/tools that they've created since the monoliths are far more ominous and play a much bigger part than they? Or have they reached an evolutionary ceiling where they cease to find the need or necessity to create new tools and are instead trying to help weaker civilizations reach their level, from behind the scenes? I like both conclusions to my theories. I probably shouldn't be thinking so hard about the film's grand themes and schemes. The effect 2001 has on me is hypnotic and I'm afraid to break the spell.

   Concluding thoughts. Mette over at Lime Reviews And Strawberry Confessions mentioned in her Star Wars review that she had no idea how Kubrick created his effects for 2001. And I have to side with her and say I have no clue. I tried reading up on it but got quickly confused by all the technical jargon. Suffice to say that the effects are extremely modern; they hold up to this very day. Heck, if released today 2001 could win the Oscar for best visual effects...again. 'Nuff said. The soundtrack is instantly recognizable. I've heard most of it in other films and never realized that their epicness originated from 2001.

   Concluding thoughts extended. My friend hated the Dawn Of Man sequence and the scenes near the ending. The scenes I'm referring to are the hallucinogenic scenes. It did feel like one huge acid trip what with all those shifting colors and terrains. And it did last a fairly long time. But I loved every second of it. Not gonna lie though, my eyelids were getting heavy during those scenes and when Dave reached his destination I had to rewind just to see if I missed anything. So I got to experience the trip twice! My favorite portion of the film is any scene during the Jupiter mission. Or aboard one of the spacecrafts. Kubrick's films are always so stylishly stunning. Even the furniture has character. Hal's a bitch. I was on to him from the get go, or that might have something to do with AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes & Villains list.

Some stunning images that say just how much I love this film and why you should too.






























Ludovico Rating

8 comments:

  1. I recently bought a copy of this one, because my impression of it is so unreal I desperately want to see it again. Like you said, it's hard to say anything new about it, but I like the way you handled that and wrote about your feelings. That's the most interesting kind of review anyway, in my opinion.
    Awesome review, it's cool to see you discover Kubrick just like I did a few months ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That does make for a more personal review. I need to try it more.

      Mette, I am loving the Kubrick marathon indeed. I understand what all the hype is about.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree that it's hard to put into words what Kubrick achieves with 2001, especially since it's been talked about so much. Those images say it all for me. This is definitely a movie that works better on the big screen. I saw it at home a long time ago and liked it, but what made the difference was seeing 2001 in theaters. That sold it for me as Kubrick's best work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope I somehow get the chance to see it on the big screen. It is definitely Kubrick's best work imo, and his most ambitious.

      Delete
  3. As far as I'm concerned, this is really the only way to review this film: some ecstatic praise followed by images that speak a thousand words. Great review man. How Kubrick pulled this off will remain a mystery to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex. And if how Kubrick achieved those effects is a mystery to you, then you can imagine how the rest of us feel.

      Delete